Monday 28 April 2014

Day 5 Recovery

Monday Day 5
I was woken up again in the early hours for blood pressure readings and temperature check. All fine thankfully so drifted back to sleep. Another nurse came with medication before breakfast and I took these and woke up. Breakfast came and after that I had my first shower since Wednesday. As the wounds have waterproof dressings I am able to have a shower as normal. The bed baths have been fine and I appreciate the efforts of the nurses but for the first time in five days I feel really clean. My mobility is 100% better than yesterday and I no longer have pain when getting out of bed. My legs were hurting again when I woke up but after moving around and getting comfortable, the discomfort has gone away. I went for a walk downstairs for the first time without a walker for support and at 9.45 Dr. Eakpatipan came in to check and redress the wound. He told me that I would be able to leave the hospital today and gave me advice for when I get home. This included no bending and the waist or stretching and to keep my back straight at all times. He also said I could take short walks but should lie down if I feel any pain. I didn’t expect to feel this well so soon after the operation after reading reports on the internet so am delighted and am looking forward to getting back to a normal life soon. 
After completing all the discharge formalities and receiving my massive bag of medication, I was able to leave the hospital on my own steam. The journey home was uneventful and except for a little discomfort getting in and out of the car was very comfortable. I am lucky due to the fact I have people to look after me and although I am mobile and could probably take care of myself at a push it would be very uncomfortable and exhausting. Putting on clothes is a challenge. Shoes and socks take a long time. Normal things like getting milk out of the fridge is difficult and reaching for pots and pans is troublesome. So having someone to help with cooking and household chores is fantastic.
I wasn’t looking forward to bedtime as I imagined my own bed to be not as comfortable as the adjustable hospital version. It was fine and I was able to spread out a bit more. I slept well but kept waking up at regular intervals, I think probably due to me being used to nurses coming in every 2 hours or so in the hospital. 

No comments:

Post a Comment